So I thought I’d let you know what’s happened.
Got an email from M* this morning:
Richard:I just spoke to (Driver No. 2) and begged him to let it go through with the check you have for him.Â Due to circumstances, that we were unaware of, that (Driver No. 2) had recently with another man of God (we are not able toÂ discuss it with you, but you could ask (Driver No. 2) yourself) (Driver No. 2) is leery of everyone.Â Â This in no way is aÂ reflection on you, but he wants a certified check.Â ÂThank you, andÂ remember, this will be over with shortly.
M* –I have a bank draft ready for him in the amount that (Driver No. 1) gave me (which, having pulled the draft from the safe and checked it) is exactly the amount that (Driver No. 2) gave me on yesterday. The bank draft has been ready since Friday, August 11th, because (Driver No. 1) had told me everything would arrive in 14 days – or I would be contacted about the problem. It is in bank draft form, rather than certified cheque, because when I asked (Driver No. 1) if a certified cheque would be acceptable, he told me that a bank draft would be better. So I got a bank draft.I am prepared to hand the draft over to (Driver No. 2) when my shipment is delivered. I am not prepared to hand it to him while my shipment remains in his truck, because whatÂ you and I contracted for – delivery – is not yet completed.Heavens above – I’m ready to hand the draft to him when *half* the load is transferred, as a sign of good faith on my part.I need some sign of good faith from you guys. (Driver No. 2) may be leery of everybody right now – but, right now,Â I have every right to be leery, as well. I’ve paid a depost, I’ve got the draft ready, I’ve waited well over the “14 to 20 days”, myÂ shipmentÂ sat in a shipyard when it could have been moving,Â I’ve been given a different “probable” date of delivery every time I talk with (Driver No. 2)… and now I’m expected to hand over another $7800 while my load is locked up in the back of a truck?IÂ recognize that there have been problems that have slowed (Driver No. 2) down. Until yesterday, I was prepared to accept those problems as the simple reality of moving across a country – except for (Driver No. 1)’s decision to leave the load sit for two weeks, rather than let somebody know so it could get moving. That changed when I found out that I was expected to pay the full amount *before* the job was done. At that point, I lost any remaining patience I had with (Driver No. 2), you, A**C***M***, or A****.Like I said, I need someÂ sign of good faith from you guys.",1] ); //-->
After I sent the email, I continued to think about the situation. I wish there were some kind of acceptable escrow agent that we could use tomorrow, but I can't think of any that would be acceptable to both of us.
So... I'll sit and chat with (Driver No. 2). I'll empathize with his leeryness. I'll try to get him to understand mine. But, if, in the end, the only way that I can get our furniture in the house is to pay him, I'll probably have to do that.
So, I've got a receipt for him to sign - adding his name and contact information::
Prior to moving Richard Bott's household shipment from my transport into the residence located at 12101 Dunbar Street, Maple Ridge, BC, as agent of A**C**M**, I received from the Rev. Dr. Bott a bank draft in the amount of:
$7781.20 (seven thousand, seven hundred eighty-one dollars and twenty cents)
drawn on The Royal Bank of Canada (Maple Ridge, BC), made out to â€œA**C**M**â€.
At my demand, the Rev. Dr. Bott gave over the draft before ascertaining the security of, completeness of, or any damage to, his shipment.
We'll see what happens.